Building Permits

Is A Building Permit Required?

“Building” as defined in the legislation “means a structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy, and includes an addition built to an existing structure and where applicable the land adjoining the structure.”

Building permits are required for:

  • New building construction
  • Garages and Carports
  • Decks
  • Mobile homes
  • Renovation, alteration or addition to an existing building
  • Relocation of an existing building
  • Basement development in a dwelling unit
  • Change of use of a building (example: office building to residence)
  • Swimming pools and hot tubs
  • Demolition of an existing building
  • Temporary buildings
  • Retaining walls

Granny Suites

A secondary residence for a single family can be applied for if the family members require support and are unable to live independently. The dwelling is restricted in size and must be temporary. The development and building permit applications must be completed and an outline as to the benefits to the family for this dwelling included. Garden / Granny Suite Agreement

When Applying For a Permit

Fill all parts of the permit application including the date and signature Remember that it is a legal document and you may be delaying your construction. Provide the name of the general contractor with contact information. Provide your email address if you have one for faster approval and access of plan review. Provide accurate value of construction as it could affect insurance claims and has no bearing on permit fees in the case of residences, garages, decks or basement development. Submit 2 sets of drawings with your application and ensure that you build according to the drawings. You could face a stop work order and suffer delays and added costs for having to hire a Professional Engineer if you deviate from original plans. (Example: When the drawing calls for a concrete foundation and you build a wood foundation or change from a wood beam to a steel one.) Plans need to be provided by a draftsman, engineer or architect for all construction except where forms are provided for garages, decks or basement development from the municipal office. Permits will not be approved in any other manner. Hand drawn plans will not be accepted. When constructing a Preserved wood foundation you must have the standard or build according to an engineered design. You must contact the company designing the joists to let them know it is a wood foundation as the design is different for the joists. Failure to do this will cause you to wait for new joists. Submit the mechanical ventilation form if it was provided to you from the municipality. (This can be provided after approval of permit once you have decided on a mechanical contractor.) Submit the shop and layout drawings for all engineered joists, truss and beams. These can be provided after permit approval but before framing inspection. Submit a site plan and follow it. Remember that distance to property lines and other buildings are addressed in the National Building Code and may be different than what is allowed in a zoning bylaw. Ask your building official for clarification. Submit information well enough ahead of time to avoid disappointment because of delays for permit approval. (Do not expect to start next day.) Ensure that you read the plan review as there may be useful information and changes from original drawings. Ensure that you follow the inspection schedule to avoid a stop work order or removal of material already constructed. Book your inspection well enough in advance as per schedule requirements. Remember it is your responsibility to book inspections. Construction shall start within 6 months of permit approval and shall not be stalled for more than 6 months. Construction shall be completed in 12 months. Unless approved by municipal council if any of these things happen you will need to pay for a new permit or it may be added to your taxes.